Trio X of Sweden
Lennart Simonsson, piano
Per V Johansson, bass
Joakim Ekberg, drums
Trio X is one of Sweden’s foremost improvisational groups. The trio’s distinctive feature is exploratory and boundary-crossing music, and the experienced musicians find inspiration in many genres. Lennart Simonsson, Per V Johansson, and Joakim Ekberg started collaborating in 2002, and since then they have made several recordings, worked with numerouswell-known artists, and toured in Sweden and abroad.
Trio X is a multi-faceted ensemble that works with many projects, from concerts in jazz clubs, in concert halls, and at major festivals to classroom appearances. Alongside their public concerts, they also play in healthcare and caring institutions. The musicians also teach and provide inspiration for amateur groups.
Among Trio X’s many collaborators, mention can be made of cellist Svante Henryson, recorder player Dan Laurin, accordionist Bengan Janson, guitarist Georg Wadenius, singer Mikael Samuelson, and saxophonist Magnus Lindgren. They have also worked with choirs, like Orphei Drängar, and orchestras, such as Uppsala Chamber Orchestra. On several occasions the trio has toured in Estonia with the Estonian saxophone virtuoso Lembit Saarsalu, including the dance production Changing Images, which is based on music by Trio X.
- Veni Veni Emmanuel, 2020 (Link to Spotify)
- In dulci jubilo, 2003 (Link to Spotify)
- Trio X of Sweden, 2005 (Link to Spotify)
- Live at Fasching -Trio X & Agnas Bros, 2007
- Upp med hakan (Chin up!) – Trio X & Bengan Janson spelar (play) Allan Edwall, 2010
- Maria Guds Moder (Mary, Mother of God) – Trio X & Mikael Samuelson, 2011
- Träumerei, 2012 (Link to Spotify)